I think all women should rock red lipstick time to time. It's the ultimate symbol of feminity and it personally makes me feel so confident. I mean, as long as it stay on my lips... The number one problem with red lips (or any kind of bright or dark color) is that you have to check countless time during the day if you don't have lipstick on your teeth, chin or just ... all over your face. However, here are a few steps to follow if you want to have a clean and long lasting red lips!
1. Exfoliate your lips - The first step to a good long lasting red lip is to exfoliate your lips so they'll be prepare for your lipstick application. Dead skins are showing up so much under dark lipstick so get rid of them! Don't be too harsh, the skin on your lips isn't really thick so, use a specific scrub or with a tooth brush, take a little bit of sugar and scrub smoothly. Once it's done, rince off.
2. Find the perfect red for you - There is a good red for everyone. You first have to know your undertone. Blue toned reds are looking good on girls with a pink based skin tone, when orangy reds will suit ladies with more of an olive skin tone. Blue toned red lipsticks will also make your teeth look whiter, that's why they are definetly my favourites. Then pick up the good finish. Glossy red lips are lovely, but they're much harder to control than a good old matte. I am all about liquid lipstick for that, such a the Bourjois Velvet Edition.
3. Don't forget your lip pencil - First, it'll make your lips look fuller and more defined. Then, it's gonna stain your lips, and even if your lipstick is fading away, the color of your lip pencil will still be there. For that reason I would recommend to chose a color similar to the lipstick you're wearing.
4. Blot your lips on a paper and then reapply- After your apply your lipstick, take a piece of tissue, lightly blot your lips, and then reapply your lipstick again. The first layer is gonna stain your lips while the second layer has a good base to stick on. This technic will definetly increase any lipsticks lasting power.
5. Conceal and highlight - Last but not least if you want to achieve the perfect red lips. Take a small lip brush and use your concealer to erase the little mistakes you've made. Once that done, take your favourite highligther and lightly apply on your cupid bows. Once again : bigger lips guaranteed.