We all have dreams, and goals in life. Setting goals, achieving them, it is making you feel complete. Today, I have a big announcement. I achieved this year main goal, I got an internship in Tokyo. For the new readers here, I am currently a university student, and I am on my final year of master degree in international management. Long story short, I love Tokyo since the first time I went there five years ago, but I do not speak japanese (at least not enough to work using japanese) and it was extremely hard to get an internship in Japan for that reason. But I've made it and it made me realize how important it is to dream big and never stop working till you get what you really wish for. It's gonna be a major change in my life, since I will be living in Japan for one year. From April, I will be blogging from Tokyo. I will be working as a marketing assistant. I won't say much about the company or projects I will be working on here but I am quite happy and excited. Now, I want to share with you some of my tips and recommendations on how to achieve your goals.
1. Set your own goals - Be clear with yourself, set your own goals, because you are the one who decide for your dreams. Don't let people chose for you whether it is your parents, boyfriend, girlfriend, or friends. It is your own path and you're the master of your life. Of course, there are things that won't work, you cannot expect to be the next Beyonce if you just can't sing, but if you know that you have the skills and the passion, then set your goals, and go for it.
2. Don't listen to them - You will always face people who will tell you that you can't do it. That no matter how hard you try, it is going to be very complicated. And yes it is complicated, but if you give up because someone tell you to do so, you won't be able to feel like you did your best to pursue your dream. I received tones of pre-made emails saying, sorry you don't speak japanese you can't make it or some friends told me to just forget about it. In the end, I didn't listen to them because I didn't felt like giving up yet, and here I am.
3. Surround yourself with positive and supporting people - There are people who will say that you can't do it. But a few people will support you and help you to chase your dreams. Don't stay with toxic people. In my case, I got so much support from two very good friends. They encouraged me when I was feeling like giving up and gave me so many good advices. And a special mention to one of them, english boss who helped me write the best cover letter ever.
4. Work, work, and work - I am a huge believer in hard work. I am not a lazy girl
(I mean except on sundays). I can't stand when lazy people say I am a lucky person, I am not a lucky person, I work hard and get what I want. I know that nothing that's worth having comes easy. You have to work for it. And by that I don't mean getting A at school. If you want to travel the world, get a part time job, save money and leave, if you want to have a good blog, then spend time on it, work on your content and pictures. It's important to be combative, you have to make it happen. Also, never give up on a dream because of the time it will take to accomplish it, because time will pass anyway. There is no waste of time if you do something you love.
5. Build a strong network - Having connections and a good network is really important and I realized it during this research (especially in the professional world). Once again I don't feel like revealing too much here, but when I was about to give up, someone in Tokyo really helped me and I could get that internship offer. My dad told me when I was in highschool that I will soon realise that life is half hard work, half good connections. Couldn't be more real.